Frequently Asked Questions
Introduction to alcohol
- What is alcohol?
- How does alcohol affect a person?
- Why do some people react differently to alcohol than others?
- What is a standard drink in the United States?
- Is beer or wine safer to drink than hard liquor?
- What are caffeinated alcoholic beverages (CABs)?
- What does moderate drinking mean?
- Is it safe to drink alcohol and drive?
- What does it mean to be above the legal limit for drinking?
- How do I know if it’s okay to drink?
Excessive alcohol use
- What do you mean by heavy drinking?
- What is binge drinking?
- What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?
- What does it mean to get drunk?
- How do I know if I have a drinking problem?
- What can I do if I or someone I know has a drinking problem?
- What health problems are associated with excessive alcohol use?
What is alcohol?
Ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, is an intoxicating ingredient found in beer, wine, and liquor. Alcohol is produced by the fermentation of yeast, sugars, and starches.